Thursday 30 June 2022

Attending : MYDoll Doll Gathering Party 2022

Hey-hey, it's been awhile I wrote about event cover. This time is a special one because I worked closely with the organizer.

When is the last time we have a large scale non-profit kind of meet up? Exactly. If  I recalled correctly, the non bias doll gathering hosted by group admin was held back at 2014. A non bias gathering is when everyone is allowed to come regardless the background issue as long they abide the rules.

Let's be honest our local doll collector scene is divided to few groupies that have their own reasons. This results the hobby from external looks slowly insignificant (if you compared to the other SEA countries' culture). I'm myself was passively losing interest, it doesn't feel the same as I've used to.

While my dolls & accessories were left untouched, collecting dust & slowly deteriorate due to weather. I even had new doll arrived  & stayed unbox for a year, yeah that bad. However, I organized & joined few small meet ups & thought, "Hey, I really miss this.".

I know the main reason for the inactivity is people are struggling with the pandemic, I was at a point succumbed to the virus but thank God I recovered! The public social places are opening again with strict rule to follow. The small meet up usually hold at café but sadly this place only permit you to stay 3-4 hours maximum.

My friend, Wahidah & I were tired of this short hours get-together so we decided to bring back the best way to get together is renting a space for us, like the old school.

Thus, MyDoll Doll Gathering Party was arranged!

The plan was briefly discussed during end of May 2022 & unexpectedly Wahidah said she managed to book the venue on suggested date. That's like few weeks away, (@A@) let's go, haha!

Here a little background story about MYDoll :

MYDoll is an established doll community in Malaysia since 2017. They hosted few doll conventions back to 2018 & 2019. There was one suppose to be hold in 2020 but canceled due to pandemic :(

Wahidah is the head of MYDoll & she decided from now on MYDoll will be focus on doll gathering instead of sale event. We wish to build a growing doll community in Malaysia & get to the surface on the major ACG subcultures.

Meanwhile, I was in the charge of providing the graphic artwork for the event. I did this voluntary with my own freedom of choice to help my friend. Previously, MYDoll partnered with Macaron Doll but they either on hiatus or close for business. 

photo credits to kyosatsuki

The theme is kemonomimi (animal ears), thus explained the dolls wearing animal ears & tails. This is clearly no two-man job. We asked everyone help to contribute if they could provides props, lights & photo booth(s) . We are grateful to those who contributed for the event & so glad to see how awesome to set up was. Plus, we're sharing the venue rental fee together & thankfully we managed to filled the max capacity hence we paid lowest amount divided for each person \( ゚ヮ゚)/ 

photo credits to kyosatsuki
photo credits to kyosatsuki

My friend & I were thinking, what's a party without food? We advised attendees to pack up food their own or order the food delivery because the location isn't serving much restaurant nearby. Still, some of us were kind enough to provide food for everyone. We had Bolognese spaghetti & egg sandwiches. As for dessert, Yuki Ekin brought us cakes :9


As for me, I was struggling to balance my work life & preparation for this event. I was rushing up to complete my doll in term of face up & buying the proper dress. I thought I could get my larger male doll ready but on day itself with lack of sleep, I managed to complete my Mini Dollfie Dream & MSD male.

Here's my photo looking distressed while explaining to this lovely couple. My brain was probably 65% capacity function on that day.


Of course silly me brought camera together but didn't take much photo during the event, not even all of my dolls I brought that day. Thanks to collective photo from friends I managed to gather in an album to reminisce in later day. 

photo credits to kyosatsuki
photo credits to Rose Lyn
photo credits to kyosatsuki

Overall, this is a successful event regardless the short-term plan. We couldn't do it without everyone supports & cooperation. Not to mentioned on the date itself was clashing with few ACG events located in another part of the city. Yet, they chose to stay & hang out with us.

I hope this will be hold annually & perhaps adding more activities, food to lighten up the event. Honestly, I'm done with the drama & I just want us to unite as a strong growing community.

Thank you MYDoll for everything.

Till then.


No comments:

Post a Comment